Nice sunscreen, good UVB protection... but NOT natural

Posted by ShaktiSophia on July 4 2012 | Verified Purchase

I am finishing my first tube of Alba Botanica SPF 45 Natural Sunblock. Nice texture, easy to spread, does not leave a white cast to my skin, not too greasy but leaves my skin with just a healthy glow. The smell is typical of sunscreens only more fruity. It is not subtle but I find it rather nice. It is not a broad-spectrum sunscreen : it provides very good UVB protection but only moderate UVA protection, according to the Environmental World Group. UVA rays don't cause sunburn, but cause aging of skin and increased rates of skin cancer. I still think it is a good sun protection. Now, my main complaint about this product is that, although it is named 'Natural Sunblock', it contains potentially and proved harmful chemicals. Besides its 2% of mineral sunscreen, it contains chemical sunscreens, some of them known to cause endocrinal disruption among other concerns : homosalate 10%, octocrylene 10%, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate 7.5%, ethylhexyl salicylate 5%. It also contains benzyl alcohol and chemical fragrance (neurotoxicity). I do like Alba Botanica but won't use this product again. A much healthier alternative (not perfect) from the same brand could be their Natural Very Emolient Sunblock, Fragrance Free, SPF 30. Although the UVB protection is not quite as strong, it contains only mineral sunscreens with a good level of UVA protection, and no synthetic fragrance.

Posted by iHerb Customer on August 4 2012 | Verified Purchase

I have been using Alba Botanica's lavender sunscreen, which is great. I decided to try this Green Tea sunscreen this time, but within minutes of applying it my skin suddenly started to itch. I looked down at my arms and they were flaming red! I then looked in the mirror and to my horror my whole face was bright red (and a bit swollen). I washed it off as quickly as i could with a natural soap, and applied coconut oil, but now, half an hour later it is still very red, even though the itch is subsiding. I have never in my life had a reaction like this to anything, my skin is not partcularly sensitive to perfume or anything like that, so I don't know what caused this. But please be careful, and first test the product on a small area before applying to you face or whole body...

I really liked the old formulation better. Won't order again.

Posted by iHerb Customer on June 16 2012 | Verified Purchase

My husband & I both liked the old formulation much better! It was SPF #30, and it worked well without irritating my sensitive rosacea skin. This new formulation turns both of our faces bright red.

Posted by iHerb Customer on March 16 2009 | Verified Purchase

When I read all the reviews for this product, I've high expectation of it performance. I've fair skin for an Asian so I constantly reapply during the day but in the end, I got really bad burns and rashes.

Stay Away from this Sunscreen!

Posted by iHerb Customer on November 26 2010 | Verified Purchase

Recently, I traveled to Bahamas and I used this sunscreen for the first time. Immediately I noticed a pineapple-like smell and I didn't like it. I was on the beautiful beach and the sun was very strong so I reapplied it every 2-3 hours. On that night, I woke up in the middle of the night to find out there were terrible, itchy, red rashes all over my skin! I could also tell what shape of bikini I was wearing - obviously this sunscreen didn't work and I got a terrible sunburn together with the rashes which was allergic reaction to the chemical ingredients. As a conclusion, I will NEVER buy this sunscreen again nor recommended it to anybody. What a waste of money just to get a week of suffering from irritating skin!!!

Posted by shepajulia on December 27 2011 | Verified Purchase

I love the cream of this company, but it did not like the flavor

Posted by iHerb Customer on March 19 2010 | Verified Purchase

Unlike other sunscreen products that claim to be non-greasy, this one truly is. I wear sunscreen on my face every day under my make-up and I don't like the shiny look. I really like this product.

Perfect sunscreen!

Posted by iHerb Customer on March 31 2009 | Verified Purchase

I have sensitive skin and prone to breakouts, this sunscreen smells nice and protects well against sun...I would never go out without this again...

Not greasy

Posted by iHerb Customer on August 21 2010 | Verified Purchase

This sunscreen smells nice, not greasy, not drying. Also it does not stain your shirts.

Do NOT use anywhere near the face

Posted by iHerb Customer on September 4 2014 | Verified Purchase

Great sunscreen, nice smell but causes extreme eye irritation if you wear this anywhere near the face. So, use for the body only and all will be fine